Annons:
Tagnutrition
Read 1663 times
Evelina
2018-04-23 19:37

The Link Between Dehydration and Migraines

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

So often us migraine sufferers get told to just drink more water and our headache will get better. 

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Drinking water alone at the onset of a migraine probably won't do a lot to Help the migraine go away. 

However, research has found that keeping up on your water intake is crucial to prevent future migraines. Dehydration is considered to be the most common and most overlooked migraine trigger. 

There’s a strong link between dehydration and migraine headaches. The brain is protected by fluid and prevents it from touching the sides of the skull during movement.  Dehydration causes the protective sack to lose some of the fluid, and the brain may press against the skull and cause pain.

Dehydration causes blood volume to decrease, resulting in less blood and oxygen flow to the brain and dilated blood vessels to swell. It is also suspected that a loss of electrolytes causes nerves in the brain to produce pain signals.

It is usually recommended to drink about 13 cups for men and 9 cups of water for women. This recommendation may differ depend on the medication one takes. Often the migraine preventative and abortive medicine we take actually can make us lose water than usual. Therefore, it is so important to maintain adequate water intake. 

Try a water intake tracking app & limit dehydrating drinks such as alcohol and coffee!

Annons:
Tammie
2018-04-23 21:30

Very interesting. I had no idea that dehydration could contribute to migraines.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Evelina
2018-04-24 11:01

I feels as though almost everything can contribute to a migraine. Crying

Leia
2018-04-24 18:37

#2 do you manage to drink 9 cups a day!?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Evelina
2018-04-24 18:40

#3 around that! I still think I need to be drinking more though, especially when I am regularly working out since then I lose even more water

Leia
2018-04-24 18:44

I really want to buy one of these bottles! Sadly, they are quite expensive to buy from Amazon but only £2.50 from this bargain store back in the UK.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Evelina
2018-04-24 18:58

That's a really good idea! I need one of those, especially because I forgot my water bottle on the subway on my way to yoga haha

Annons:
Scroll to top
Annons: