Annons:
Tagmedication
Read 2864 times
Evelina
2018-01-25 12:10

My First Injection of Botox Treatment for Migraine

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

I have chronic migraine which means that I have migraine days more often than non-migraine days. 

After suffering from this for 2.5 years, this is the first time I have tried Botox to treat the migraines. 

I had an early appointment this morning. My neurologist was very nice and talked me through everything, and explained what she was during while she was putting in the injections. 

She put about 30 injections into my forehead, scalp, temple, back of head, around my ears, neck and shoulders. 

She told me beforehand that it would sting like a bee sting. For me, the back of the head and shoulders hurt the most but it wasn't like any sort of extreme pain. If anything it all just felt a bit annoying. Everything took about 10 minutes. 

She said that I could be getting worse migraines for a while, until the botox starts to work against the migraines. This can take several treatments, and I will get treated every 3 months. 

So fingers crossed that I will get some relief! Winking

I'll keep you posted if I feel any side effects. But so far I don't feel any difference.

Edit:

1 week update: Major increase in migraine pain intensity, and everyday migraine. Cold like symptoms for 3-5 days including, sore throat, body aches, sneezing and coughing. Fatigue and sleeping up to 14 hours a day. Sensitivity for a couple days at the injection areas, especially on the back of my head. After the third day, I noticed that I could move muscles around my eyebrows. I can't make a concerned face, which has been pretty funny. ConfusedLaughing out loud

Annons:
Niklas
2018-01-26 12:51

Interesting. Do you know how the Botox works treating the migraine? What it does. Will the treatment have to be repeated for the rest of your life?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2018-01-26 13:40

The Botox could prevent contraction of the muscles the are affected by the migraines. They also believe that Botox inhibits pain in chronic migraine by reducing the expression of certain pain pathways involving nerve cells in the trigeminovascular system. But they don’t fully know why it works for some and does not work for others who suffer from chronic migraine. If I have a decrease in migraines then I will likely take it every three months until I hit about the age of menopause. That is a common age for women that the migrain condition gets better due to the change in hormones.

Niklas
2018-01-26 15:55

Aha, okay. Thanks for the answer!

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: